Had a day in the sun sanding down the frame, seems about 4 layers of varying colours!. Also received back the headset, had it de-chromed by a local firm, didn't even realised this existed, then bead blasted and filled the previous engraving, seems a great repair and will look as good as new!
Made a bit more progress, the engine is finished, needed a 2mm spacer on the clutch cover. Also need a spacer for the flywheel cowling as the bolts on the Parmakit flywheel hit the cover. frame and forks back together, all cables and a new wiring loom in, i just moved so it may take a bit more time to finish.
The exhaust needed fettling slightly, the outlet was not quite centred (hence the Dremmel on the bench)
Came across a big problem, the exhaust simply will not fit within the body, it’s the LTH midrange (SP09 option) the main body is just too wide on the silencer, it hits the panel so tightly the base curve touches the rear hub. the only option to get this to fit is to cut a large curve into the side panel, which of course is not an option
I've got a LTH Midrange for Parmakit on my scoot. It's a Primavera 125 so it appears to have wider frame than the 50s. After fitting the LTH Midrange, I also noticed that my glove box got updated to a heated one in the process
Finally finished and went 2nd kick, only a couple of snagging points, plus the headlight blew immediately and i realised some numpty had put a 6v bulb in! Minor carb adjustment and a leaking fuel tap and runs nicely, bit of clutch drag from the BGM clutch, hoping once the oil gets round it will sort itself.
Left hand panels had to be 'adjusted' to get the exhaust to fit, as you can see the silencer angles away from the bodywork, great pipe for the Parmakit from LTH but its probably fine for a Prim but too wide for a 50 special.
A quick update, the scoot was ran and then put back into storage, new job in Cheltenham stopped me going further. Everything finished, the engine ran nicely but i always wanted something a bit more radical, so bit the bullet and just ordered the Quattrini M1L-60 GTR kit, full circle DRT 53x105 crank and a 35mm PWK. The engine is out and being stripped, the work on the casings was already done for the M1L so just the 8mm spacer to work on and blend in.
Will update with some pics and an update as we get on! Does anyone have any recommendations for setting one of these kits up for best performance (port timings etc.. with the longer crank) Will be running a DRT short 4th and LTH mid range exhaust.
The Parmakit SP09 kit, mazzy ETS crank and carb will be up for sale.
So the parts have almost arrived for the new engine, Xmas is a good time to ask for bits!, firstly I opted to go all out and start with fresh casings, the expected power and new parts just felt right going in new casings, I went for the SIP ones, the EVO variety which has the larger transfer area, ETS bearing seats and extra alloy around the flywheel transfer to allow port matching. They look impressive, they are off to Shiny Red Tuning to have the spigot and 8mm spacer opened to 64.5mm as specified in the M1L specs.
Had the call from SRT, the casings are ready, spigot opened inc the 8mm spacer, ported and crank housing machined for the long stroke crank. The barrel/transfers have also been ‘adjusted’ to suit the crank and exhaust timing, one comment from them was I supplied the DRT heavy duty barrel studs which were tight to the point of not sliding the barrel all the way down so the barrel was drilled out, guessing they are slightly thicker. Sneak pic from SRT, I pick everything up on Friday, very knowledgeable information and great value for all the work.
Made a start today, the casings are great quality and good value from SIP, these are the EVO version so extra strengthening, extra meat on the transfers for larger porting, more studs on the casings and room for a 3.5 x 10 tyre as standard, there is an issue will come on too but initially thanks to Gary at SRT for the work, great value and expertise, highly recommended and worth the drive.
I started putting the casings back together, gearbox in and shimmed, new gear linkage (the casings are brass bushed should the usual pivot point ever wear out), new DRT cylinder studs 152mm as the crank is stroked, new Piaggio kickstart (the pattern one was actually cast differently and the teeth were not identical, usual crap!), i also went for the strengthened BGM kickstart pinion given the engine output.
Clutchwise, i went for the Fabbri one, the Falc was out of stock everywhere and on inspection is fairly close to the Falc and no doubt this is what they used as a start point, i also went for there gear kit 27/69 (2.54). SRT did say they are an absolute pig to fit and the one he used previously had to be pressed in with the bearing etc.... all i can say is the SIP cases may have more clearance as the basket went straight in with a bit of a twist, agree the clutch will have to be built in situ and i have made a tool to do this.